Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sunday Deep Thoughts




In all my wisdom gained from 62 years on Earth, I've finally come to the conclusion that life is all about Perspective with a capital P.

This lovely ancient Mayan goddess on the Isla Mujeres municipal building looks wonderfully proportioned from the proper angle, but when shot from a skewed angle -- rather badonkadonk-ish.

For me, travel provides a whole new perspective on life.  Maybe the proper perspective.  I realize my values get skewed at home. Badonkadonk-ish.  Out of proportion.

I get caught up in obsessing about the perfect rug to place behind the couch or not wearing black sandals with navy tees.  Material first world problems.

Then a door opens on Isla Mujeres into a corrugate casa with a dirt floor and I feel so foolish.

Then I feel grateful.  I realize how fortunate my life has been.  I grew up in a home with solid walls and a roof, adequate food, clean running potable water, medical care, a good education, and loving parents, relatives, and friends.  I didn't want for the real necessities in life.

With age comes a little wisdom.  My mother called yesterday.  She thought it was her birthday (next Saturday) and I wasn't there.  I calmly explained that she had the date wrong and we'd be there next week to celebrate her 90th birthday.

Our of the mouth of the mother came wisdom.  Getting old and confused is not fun, but I guess it beats the alternative.  You are so right mama!


Life's like a road that you travel on

When there's one day here and the next day gone

Sometimes you bend, sometimes you stand
Sometimes you turn your back to the wind


There's a world outside every darkened door

Where blues won't haunt you anymore

Where the brave are free and lovers soar
Come ride with me to the distant shore


We won't hesitate break down the garden gate

There's not much left today


Life is a highway

I want to ride it all night long

If you're going my way
I want to drive it all night long 


(Tom Cochrane)


(Hopefully, life to be continued!)


1 comment:

Ann said...

Wonderful post! That first photo--what a hard image to get a good photo of! I agree, a few days on Isla puts lots in perspective.